Peking Duck with Hoisin Sauce Pringle Rice Infusions



Hi Everyone! How are you? I am fine.

Pringles! Pringles, pringles, pringles. You will never know how big a part pringles has played in my life. I honestly think that BBQ pringles might be the item of food I have eaten more than any other. I understand what a deeply shameful thing that is to say, but I’ve said it anyway because I’m an honest man.

Pringles know 3 things. They know taste, they know texture and they know the tastes and textures that middle aged men of a certain level of self-respect will consume in quantities that would be shameful if they weren’t so impressive in scale.
Pringles! But not as you know them...


I was nervous about this product for 2 reasons:-

1-    What if it’s no good and pringles are ruined forever?

2-    What if it is good and I literally eat myself to death?

Well, there’s only 1 way to find out…

Taste

Good taste. Really good taste. They’ve gone down the Hoisin sauce path quite hard in my book, with only a passing glance down Duck Avenue, but I don’t mind it. The duck is there, but it plays second fiddle to the sweet plummy sauce flavour. A dessert crisp if you will.

Texture

The thoughts going through my head regarding texture were a little bit as follows:


Chip 1: ‘Ooh, this is just like normal pringles!’

Chip 2: ‘Oh Hang on, it’s a bit like normal pringles, but not exactly normal pringles’
Chip 3: ‘Nope, they’re not like normal pringles’


Chip 4: ‘I want normal pringles’

(And so and so forth)

Basically, I think the thing is that these are a bit higher quality in terms of texture than normal pringles. A bit lighter, a bit crunchier, a bit more delicate, a bit less greasy. The problem is that I like the chunky, chewy, sturdy, greasy texture of normal pringles. There’s something horribly moreish about them that keeps me coming back.

I feel like they’ve tried too hard to make something nice, and underestimated what a horrible bunch of self-loathing, fat-arsed, junk food addicts we all are.

It’s a bit like my wife when she makes a nice salad for dinner. They’ve tried to do something nice for us, they really have, but they don’t know us like they think they do.

I say to the people at pringles the same thing I said to my wife:

‘PUT IT IN THE BIN WOMAN, I WANT FISH FINGERS!’


OK, that makes no sense in this context, but you get the idea.
If I put them in a fancy bowl, I can pretend I'm not a disgusting slob while I eat them! #lifehack

Packaging

Pretty decent. Everything I like about novelty packing from big brands to be honest. Branded enough so you know who you’re dealing with, bespoke enough to know that what you’re getting from them isn’t the normal business.
There’s even a little oriental arch to add to the charm? Is that for the rice? Is it for the Peking Duck? Is it a tiny little bit racist? I don’t know, but it’s there and there’s nothing any of us can do about it now.

(It’s probably not racist is it?) #politicalcorrectnessgonemad
Marketing

Well, the marketing for this hit me right in the face as I entered Tesco (other supermarkets are available, although I honestly don’t know why, Tesco is the best). There was a massive stand celebrating these crisps, and all the flavour options, but that’s it really. I haven’t seen anything apart from that though, no telly, no print, no busses, no radio, and I had a quick check on line too.
Nothing huge then, but more than some have managed.

Novelty Factor

What exactly is the novelty here? Duck flavour? Well yeah, that would be novelty (pause for effect) …IN 1985!!
Rice crisps? Yeah, that’s novelty, if you didn’t spend so much time making them feel and taste like the normal crisps. Fine, it’s novelty, I’d never had or even seen them before, so good effort, but if I hadn’t known that they were made from rice, I wouldn’t have guessed. I want the rice to hit me in the face like an angry wife after you bin her salad. Full on smack to the chops.
Decent Novelty, but not novelty enough for this guy!

(If you disagree with me on this point, please refer to my Greggs Sausage Roll Blog, where I also kind of disagree with the above rational. I'm a complicated fellow).


Final Scores

Taste- 8/10

Texture- 7/10

Packaging- 6/10

Marketing- 3/10

Novelty Factor- 6/10

Overall 30/50

They were great, I liked them a lot, but I won’t return to them like I will their BBQ potato brethren, the tasty spud minxes.

In the end it didn't ruin Pringles and I'm still alive, so I guess the answer to both my questions at the start is no. Thank goodness.
I’ve already tried the product for next time, and it’s an absolute home run, so that exciting isn’t it? #exciting






Comments