Seabrook Scorchin Hot Scorpion Chili: Welcome to Spice City!



Hi Everyone! How are you? I am fine.

My first foray into the world of spice this week. I’m in no way a ‘chillihead’ but I’m not a baby either. I wouldn’t seek out spicy food just for the sake of it, but I’ve been known to put a bit of hot sauce on my eggs in the morning, and I’ve had the odd vindaloo in my time. This could go either way, but where will we end up?

There’s only one way to find out!
The unopened pack. A simpler, more pain free time.


Taste

Straight in there with the headliner. This was always going to be where it was won for lost for this product. Firstly, I should mention that the crisps themselves were scary right out of the packet, their red tinge setting an ominous stage for what was to come.

Initially I was disappointed, a little bit spicy, but not a real chili taste. 8 Crisps in though and I’m struggling. Sweat was starting to pour and I was in pain.

I stopped eating for a few minutes and it was genuinely a test of bravery to start again. My lips were sweating, something that’s never happened to me before.

I did persevere and the flavour started coming through the spice a bit, a really smoky, chili flavour that would have been nice if the spice pain wasn’t on its way back.

Much worse this time, not fun. I tried eating quicker to try to outrun the spice, stupidity. It obviously caught up with me because that’s not how taste works.

I couldn’t tell if I was crying or if the top of my nose was just sweaty. Probably both. There was genuine pain and discomfort there. I felt like this was going to be the last taste I ever experienced in my life.

I ate about half the pack, but had to throw the rest away. It really felt like the most responsible thing to do. I hate throwing food away, but I didn’t feel safe keeping these things in the house, mere metres away from where my children were sleeping.

I ate these for around 10 minutes, including a break for about 2 minutes in the middle. I was basically almost OK again after a pint of milk and  20 minutes later. At least it gave me something to write about I suppose.

I ate some, then I ate some more, then I regretted a lot of my decisions.
Texture

Really nice. Seabrook are an underrated brand crisp wise. Eating these reminded me what a nice crisp they are and I will be revisiting their less maliciously evil flavours. I’ve been a walkers man for a while, but these made me reconsider that position.

They were everything a crisp needs to be, moreish, crunchy, thick but not overly so. Delightful! (Until the flavour hits).

Packaging

You can’t say they didn’t warn us can you? They’re in a black bag (everyone knows that black is the colour of pain), there’s warnings plastered everywhere, a skull and fire motif, and 5/5 chili rating. What more do you want? You’ve got to be an idiot to see all that and not prepare yourself accordingly.

I really liked it, it had the Seabrook badge so you know the brand, but it was it’s own thing and left you in no doubt what was on it’s way.

Sometimes you get products pertaining to be spicy that don’t provide the heat they promise. It’s not Seabrooks fault that those other products have lulled me in to a false sense of security when they deliver what they said they did is it?

I might sue Monster Munch, it’s their ‘flaming hot’ flavour that got me in to this mess in the first place.
Technically, you can say they didn't warn you, but it would be a lie.

Marketing

A website where some people make silly faces when trying the crisps. Some Twitter activity from the Seabrook account (https://twitter.com/SeabrookCrisps?lang=en), including a competition to win a box of the crisps (why? Do you have a death wish). Not bad, but not massive.

Seabrooks probably doesn’t operate on the biggest advertising and marketing budget in the world though, so it’s a decent effort

Novelty Factor

Tough. Spicy crisps aren’t a new idea, but Seabrooks have taken it further than any of the other mainstream crisps brands ever have to my knowledge. If someone had made a spicier crisp, I’m sure the deaths would have been in the news, so it’s got to be a decent score.

They didn’t make the first spicy crisp, but they’ve done it to the extreme. Fair play.

Final Scores

Taste- 5.5/10

Texture- 8/10

Packaging- 8.5/10

Marketing- 6/10

Novelty Factor- 8/10

Overall 36/50

Equal highest score so far, and I felt bad for giving them the score I did for taste. It tasted how they said it’d taste, and if you like spice, you’ll be happy, but you have to really like spice.

Which way did it go? Well, these were as spicy as an August Saturday, as spicy as the planet Mars, as spicy as pavement, as spicy as a German cinema. They were really f’n spicy. But it was too spicy for me and that’s got to be the basis of my score.

These should need a license. You shouldn’t be allowed to buy these under the age of 50.

Not sure what’ll be next time, but it won’t be spicey I can tell you that.






Comments