Greggs Vegan Sausage Roll: Return of the Blog!


Hi Everyone! How are you? I am fine.

Right, Fair enough, I know what you’re thinking, I haven’t really kept up my end of the bargain have I? This being my first post in more that a year isn’t what you were all expecting, but seeing as how I get the stats on how many people read this, I honestly don’t think anyone is losing sleep. Please comment below if I’m wrong (I dare you) …
Anyway, I’m restarting with the less lofty ambition of doing one of these a month at least, and maybe more when I can be bothered. You’re welcome!
A big one to restart with. Unless you’re living in a cave (or basically in any country other than the UK), you’ll have heard of the Greggs Vegan Sausage Roll! It was a genuine media storm when this was released, and I’m about to add to it (fully 3 months late).
Sausagey Flaky Goodness

Taste

This depends on your perspective really. Do you like sausage rolls? And more specifically do you like Greggs sausage rolls? Because if you do, then this is just the ticket. It tasted brilliantly like a standard Greggs sausage roll, a product that I have basically given up because of how sensitive and caring I am, and how much I love and respect all of God’s great creatures.
I loved this so much.
Texture
Weirdly the sausage part was the bit that you wouldn’t be able to differentiate from its meaty cousin.
The difference was in the texture of the pastry, which was a bit flakier/crispier than the standard, and it was no worse for that. It did have the effect of making the vegan sausage roll look a little bit anemic, but there were no arguments from me after I put it in my mouth (that’s what she said…).
Packaging
Ah, problem. Greggs’ don’t really do ‘packaging’ per se. This came in your standard Greggs paper bag. Absolutely fine, but no room for novelty there really, unless you know origami. It gets a bonus point because I can recycle it, but that's about it.
It comes in a paper bag. At least it's good for the environment!

Marketing
Absolutely mental. It was all over the shop and was the subject of several opinion pieces on radio, in national news paper and on the TV. It went absolutely Vegan Sausage roll mad for a few weeks back in Jan 2019, and Greggs saw the benefit. They saw an increase in total sales of over 14% when this bad boy was released. Solid work everyone! Take the week off!
Novelty Factor
Tricky to quantify really isn’t it? It basically tasted the same as a standard sausage roll. If it doesn’t taste different, is it really novelty?
Well I think yes, (kind of). It was definitely gimmicky, it definitely got people talking, it is definitely something not many have done before (at least not on this scale). The sameyness of the taste might lose them some points, but ultimately, it is novelty and that’s all I have to say about that.
Final Scores

Taste- 9/10
Texture- 9/10
Packaging- 1/10
Marketing- 10/10
Novelty Factor- 7/10
Overall 36/50

I loved it, and it adds  yet another item on to the list of this that I disagree with Britain’s’ single worst ever person, Piers Morgan about. 
Top of the tree, and difficult to see anything beating this any time soon…
One final word of warning, some people (me) assume Vegan things are better for you than meaty things by default. Some people (me) might even buy 4 of these for lunch assuming they have basically zero calories.

These people are wrong. You will get just as fat eating these as you will get eating the standard one (very). Tasty though!

Comments