Mivesi Chicken Tikka Naan Pizza: A Marriage of Cultures at Wylam Brewery Pizza fest 2019.



A photo doesn't do it justice! Absolute belter of a Novelty food.

Hi Everyone! How are you? I am fine.

An exciting one this week, the brilliant Wylam Brewery in Newcastle were holding a Pizza festival which my family attended, and guess what? I was allowed out of the house to join them! What a day!

While perusing the pizza options I have to say that the novelty factor was mostly limited to ‘wacky’ names that mostly just meant pepperoni pizza. All of which were delicious, but none of which were blog worthy, that was until I came across this beauty. Is it a Naan bread? Is it a Pizza? Can it be both? If it’s both, does that make it neither? What a lot of questions, and as always, there’s only 1 way to find out.



Taste

In with the headline! Bloody lovely!

If I could only eat pizza for the rest of my life, I would be a very happy man, and if I could only eat one pizza, and it was this one, I wouldn’t be disappointed.

Flavoursome, good quality ingredients, properly nice bread, and really well spiced chunks of chicken, melted mozzerlla and a slightly spiced sauce base that really stood out. All beautifully complimented by a lovely, creamy and rich jalfrezi sauce on the side.

Nothing overpowered anything else, all the elements contributed to a party in my mouth that I never wanted to leave.

Absolutely belted it out of the park. (Wylam brewery is in a park, so that’s really clever actually).

Texture

This is where we have some small issues.

Don’t get me wrong, there was a lot of positives texture wise. Chucky, juicy chicken, lovely good quality melted cheese and really light fluffy naan bread, but the toppings of the pizza were too much at times for the bread.

Pizza bases are traditionally used for pizza because they can withstand the load of the multiple pizza toppings. While the bread used for this offering was properly delicious, it was too floppy to really do the job (that’s what she said).

I didn't try the veggie one. I assume that would have been world class too. (insofar as any food without meat can be world class)
Don’t get me wrong, once it was in my mouth, this was top notch, but the journey from plate to palette was fraught with danger. Good thing I was wearing a bib…

BTW can we just take a minute to appreciate my ‘Plate to Palette’ line? I’m on fire today- Eat that Giles Coren (basically the only other food author I can think of, so Coren’s getting it in the face by default unfortunately. Sorry Giles!). Also, 'Eat that' is another great pun, because he's a food critic who east things. #fireemoji.

Packaging

Paper plate. There’s nothing I can do or say about that is there? I mean it did the job, but I can’t score it very highly.

My hands are tied on that one. Even the Gregg’s Sausage roll paper bag had the logo on.


Check out that queue? Who needs Marketing? (The answer is Pepsi).



Marketing

The event itself was advertised as much as these kinds of things generally are- local flyers, facebook event etc. Nothing Special, but much, much more than Pepsi Max Raspberry or the Snuffling Pig/Colman’s Pork Scratchings. This is a local business remember, versus massive national and global conglomerates with huge marketing budgets (probably).

For that reason I’m giving it a decent score here, and I refuse to apologise.

Novelty Factor

I’m going to say high and here’s why:-

Is a Chicken Tikka pizza novelty? No. Is a Chicken Tikka Naan bread novelty? Maybe, a little bit at a push I suppose.

But add in the Jalfrezi sauce? Well you’ve just added another dimension my clever little friend.

Sauce? Served with a pizza? On a naan bread? Two cultures combining the best of what they do to form a new taste sensation! I don’t want to live in a world where that’s not novelty, and what’s more, I shan’t.

Final Scores

Taste- 9.5/10

Texture- 7/10

Packaging- 0.5/10

Marketing- 6/10

Novelty Factor- 9/10

Overall 32/50

If this had come in any other packaging than a paper plate, then we would have had a new leader.
Is it a Pizza? Is it a Naan bread? Is it both? Yes, yes and ruddy yes!

Do you think they would have changed anything if they’d have known what was at stake? We’ll never know.

Comments