Double Big Mac: Bigger Mac!

Wow, 2020 eh? What was that all about, am I right? Brexit, a bug going round that's causing quite the kerfuffle, and not a blog in sight! Well, never fear, it's 2021 now, Brexit is sorted, there's a vaccine, the blog's back and everything's fine now apparently. It's all going to be OK in the end!

What better way to kick off the new year than by giving one of the big hitters another go at the world of novelty food? Trick question suckers! There isn't one!

It's like a big mac, but bigger!


Taste

Cards on the table, I love a burger, and while the Big Mac wouldn't be top of my list, it's never an unwelcome addition to a day. Big Mac Sauce is one of the wonders of modern science, and I won't hear a bad word said against it.

With all that in mind, this is a winner. If you like a Big Mac, this won't disappoint, because it is a Big Mac, just more of it.

Texture

Again, do you like Big Macs? Yeah? Well strap in chuckles, you're going to enjoy this one. All of the classic plasticy, moreish, saucy goodness you've come to expect from the brand, but doubled. The genius is in the simplicity and that's McDonald's in a nutshell.

Not a trick of the light! There are 4 burgers in this burger! Too many burgers? Or the right amount of burgers?



Packaging

Christmassy! Why? Does Santa like Big Macs? Well, looking at the man, he probably does to be fair but that's not the point.

Plus points for adding the phrase 'Limited Time Only', which automatically qualifies it for the #blog, and means I actually have no choice but to but one (two) eat it (them) and write a blog, no matter what my wife, or doctor has to say about it.

See? Limited time only! That means it qualifies as a tax write off, should this blog ever make me any money

Marketing

Decent. I've seen it on posters, big posters. You only have to have a look at some of the 'efforts' in this category in the past to know how excited that made me. Good quality points for this section guaranteed. 

Well done to the plucky outsiders at at the Maccy D marketing team. Chalk one up for the underdog!

Novelty Factor

Hmmmmm. Tricky one. I mean as we've already said, it is only available for a limited time, so it automatically qualifies as novelty. I just can't help feeling that you need to put more effort in that just slapping a couple more burgers in to be truly novelty. Maybe pop a santa hat on it?

Final Scores

Taste- 8/10
Texture- 7/10
Packaging- 4/10
Marketing- 8/10
Novelty Factor- 4/10

Overall- 31/25

So there you have it, a decent score and the McDonald's/Novelty Food Blog beef  can finally be put to bed after the 'spicy' nugget fiasco of August 2019 (LOL! get it? because of beef, the food! It's pun!).

Post Script. I ate 2 of these and a McFlurry, and I hate myself now. Welcome to 2021 everyone!

Peace Out.

(For more on the absolute shambles that was McDonald's last effort, here's the link, but don't talk to me about it, it's a painful memory I don't want to relive) 

Comments