National Trust Chocolate Honey Spread: Queasy



Hi Everyone! How are you? I am fine.

So far this whole thing has been pretty anonymous. You don’t know me, and I don’t know you, and that’s how it’s been. What’s this though? You’re about to find out a big thing about me, and this thing will open up a world of other things you will know about me. The thing is, I go to National Trust places at the weekend sometimes.

What else does this mean? Well, judging by the other men I see there, I think we can safely say the following: I do what my wife tells me to do, I own chinos, I have children who are a bit entitled, I have never had a haircut that was anything other than generic, I only like walking if I’m never more than half a mile away from a kiosk where I can buy a latte, I don’t mind standing in a queue for a sausage roll for 45 minutes, I can make a game of hide and seek last for ages by simply not trying to find a 5 year old (even though I know exactly where he is), and so on and so forth.
But do I like Honey Chocolate Spread? There’s only one way to find out!
Rich and Smooth! (That's how I like my Chocolate Honey Spread)



(the answer is going to be no)

Taste

What’s not to like? I like Honey! I love Chocolate spread! It’s a match made in heaven. Except it’s not is it?
I was super excited about this one. I was annoyed when my children opened the jar before me, and even more annoyed that they’d eaten half of it before I had even had a try, but I needn’t have worried.

Too Much? Never been a problem before....
I don’t know what it was, but I just didn’t like this at all. It was definitely very sweet, but that’s never stopped me before. There was just something about it that made me a bit queasy. Maybe (definitely) I put too much on my toast, but that’s never been a problem before with either chocolate spread or Honey, the more the better with those guys.
This was just a combination of too sweet, too rich and just plain not a good flavour combo in my book. Bad times.
I have to say here, that this is just my opinion. Normally I wouldn’t bother saying that, but my kids tried it and loved it. They don’t have a blog though, so their opinion doesn’t count does it?

Texture
Nice for a bit. Definitely more chocolate than honey, easy to spread and if it had tasted nice I think it would have had a delightful texture. Unfortunately, the more I ate, the less I liked it and it’s basic badness made me dislike everything about it.
Objectively the texture was good, so I’ll score it on that I suppose. I don’t want to though.
Packaging

Classic spread/jam jar, classic National Trust labelling. All round classic, but not like ‘CLASSIC’ like a great night out, or some gold trainers, more like ‘classic’ like a perfectly functional, uninspiring table.
I’ve actually had some great national trust produce in the past, so this caught my eye and I can’t complain.
Marketing
None. Again. 
I’m going to make an effort to buy something I’ve seen an advert for next time, just so I have something to say in this bit.
Novelty Factor
Decent I think. I’ve never seen honey chocolate spread before, and I’m the sort of person who would look for it. Maybe because people have tried making it before, and actually tasted it before they sold it, so they didn’t bother.
Final Scores

Taste- 2/10

Texture- 8/10

Packaging- 6/10

Marketing- 0/10

Novelty Factor- 8/10

Overall- 22/50

Not the worst so far, but only because it’s such a bad idea it scores highly in novelty. That’s nothing to brag about.
Do I like Chocolate honey spread? I think I've made my thoughts quite clear.

Anyway, something that someone has actually bothered to advertise next week. That’s something to look forward to isn’t it?


Comments