Skittle Dips: MAD!


Hi Everyone! How are you? I am fine.

Life is a funny thing. You’ve got to understand what makes you happy, and if it’s a bit weird, that’s your look-out and no-one else’s business.
I got up at 4:20 this morning to go and watch rugby on TV with my Brother, and I’m going to read an X-man comic on the train there. I’m 39, and I don’t care what you think.
Weird is cool, but does it make for a good novelty food? There’s only one way to find out!
Yoghurty Coated Skittles. Actually happening in the world right now, and we're all just sitting about like everything's normal. 



Taste

Obviously, all novelty food is weird, that’s what makes it novelty, but there’s weird, and then there’s weird. These are weird. Whose idea was this product? That is one odd human being.
I’m not saying that it’s not at least a partial success. Once you get past the initial shock (yes, I used the word shock to describe a sweety aimed at children), and lean in to it, they are kind of nice.
Yoghurt has a sourish taste (you know that, you’ve had yoghurt before) that compliments the sweetness of the skittle. Overall, positive, if somewhat disconcerting.
Texture
Skittles are a juicy sweet. It’s one of their things, it’s a fact and we need to move on. But adding a chunky coat of yoghurt adds to the juiciness and enhances it.
Juicier than the standard skittle, who knew that was even possible? I’m on board my friend, where do I sign?
Skittles Covered in Yoghurt. Yet more proof (if proof is still needed at this point), that the world is actually ending.


Packaging

Classic big brand novelty food packaging.
It’s like someone wrote a textbook and they’re sticking to it, and well done to them for that.
Obviously Skittles, Obviously not standard, obviously new, obviously weird. Can’t fault it.
Marketing
Some, not a lot! Why?

Are the people at Skittles HQ ashamed of their weirdness? Could be I suppose, they are odd and I really do believe that someone needs to do some kind of evaluation on their creator, but come on guys! We know weird is cool, there’s nothing new about that! Don’t you want us to think you’re cool?
Sometimes when I know I’m going to spend time with friends that I’ve known for 25+ years, I get nervous and make notes of things to talk about on my hand so I don’t go quiet and embarrassed. See? Cool! Not weird! Cool! Cool as ice!

I write a blog no-one reads, about novelty food no-one eats, or even cares about.

I'm Still Cool!

Novelty Factor

Must be high mustn’t it? Have I ever given a 10 in this category ever?  very rarely, but no-one has covered candy in yoghurt before either so we’re smashing boundaries left right and centre aren’t we?

Final Scores

Taste- 8/10

Texture- 9/10

Packaging- 9/10

Marketing- 4/10

Novelty Factor- 10/10

Overall- 40/50

A new leader! And a very high score from a proper novelty food in every sense of the term.

Only the marketing team stopping this getting an even higher score. Come on guys! If you’re going to be odd, let us know about it. You’re not alone!

I’m so glad these came into my life. I can’t imagine ever having reason or inclination to ever eat them again but I’m happy they exist, and I can only applaud the effort.
Does a weird food make a good novelty food? You bet your fat ass it does!

Good work Mr. Skittle!

Comments