Oreas Snowy Enrobed: Winter is Coming!


Hi Everyone! How are you? I am fine.

Right, let’s crack on with this shall we? Winter is coming, it’s November, we’re all watching the John Lewis advert on repeat and crying like loons, and as far as everyone is concerned it may as well be Christmas already apparently. With every Tom, Dick and Rudolph jumping on the Winter bandwagon, you could be forgiven for being sick of the whole affair already.

But just because something is a shameless attempt to cash in on seasonal goodwill, does that make it bad? There’s only one way to find out.
You Can't get more Wintery than a Polar Bear sitting on a biscuit...


Taste

Oreos have been going for 100 years. That’s mental isn’t it? People were eating Oreos during world War 1, They had Oreos before the moon landings. Margaret Thatcher probably ate an Oreo! Bloody Thatcher! Sitting at home eating Oreos, just like I eat Oreos in my home! Madness!

But there’s a reason Thatcher ate so many hundreds of thousands of Oreos, and there’s a reason I still eat them today. They taste nice. They’re a nice sugary snack to enjoy responsibly between meals.

Now then, try to think of a sugary treat that can’t be improved with white chocolate. Please stop what you’re doing and think about it properly for 20 minutes. I’ll time you. Ready? Go!

You’ve got nothing have you? And this is no exception, Oreos are good, Oreos covered in white chocolate are better, No matter what Thatcher might say about it.

Texture

The more I write this blog entry the more I really remember how great Oreos are, and actually, the texture is one of the best things about Oreos now that I’m thinking about it.

Maybe it’s the fact I haven’t eaten lunch today, maybe it’s because the last thing I did actually eat today was an Oreo, or maybe it’s my crippling reliance on food as an emotional crutch, but I just think that crunch and the soft stuff in the middle are a match made in heaven.

Does the chocolate coating add anything to that? Probably not much, but it doesn’t detract either.
The white stuff hides the brownish stuff inside, because you can't pretend that the brownish stuff is wintery #Marketing


Packaging

Your standard big brand novelty packaging. The Oreo logo is front and centre, they haven’t moved away from the colour scheme too much, but there’s a definite winter theme letting you know something’s not normal.

I appreciate the winter theme, because it’s wintery but not Christmassy. It’s a bit of a cash in, but because there’s no Santas, reindeer or elves it does feel less cynical.

Is this attempt at being less cynical, a cynical attempt to convince us they aren’t cynical? Maybe, or maybe I’m just putting too much thought into it. #cynical

Loss of points for the extra plastic, added for a reason I don’t really understand.
Plastic. Why?



Marketing

Some brief adverts but nothing major. Can’t score that highly here, but not amongst the worst either. Basically average, and if they’re not putting the effort in, why should I?

Done, end of section.

Novelty Factor

Oreos are no stranger to the novelty market, because the basic Oreo is such a strong brand, you don’t need to add much to make it into a novelty item. In their 100 years we’ve had;-

·         Birthday cake Oreos (to celebrate their 100-year birthday)

·         Lemon Oreos

·         Watermelon Oreos (very disappointed to miss out on those)

·         Double Stuffed Oreos

·         Oreo Thins

·         Oreo minis



To name but a few, there’s loads more.

I’ve debated on this blog before about making a thing that’s normally dark or milk chocolate into a white chocolate version, and whether that is enough to qualify as novelty. I’ve probably thought about it more that anyone else has thought about it in the history of human endeavor, but I haven’t come down strongly either way.

In the end, novelty is more of a feeling. It’s kind of up to the individual to say what’s novelty in their book. Oreo covered these in white chocolate, they weren’t covered in anything before, but is it enough?

Well, to me these were quite novelty, but not super novelty.

Quite a lot of build up for a pretty disappointing conclusion there I’m aware of that, but I don’t have much more to say on the subject to be honest, and I don’t have to explain myself to you either.

Final Scores

Taste- 7.5/10

Texture- 8.5/10

Packaging- 4/10

Marketing- 4/10

Novelty Factor- 6/10

Overall- 30/50

A decent score, and a nice product that I’d buy and enjoy again (even though I have already written this blog entry and I have nothing more to gain except the joy of the product itself). What greater endorsement can there be than that?

So, does a shameless attempt to cash in on seasonal good will mean a bad product? Clearly not! Above Average Work Oreos!

Comments