McDonalds Spicy Chicken Nuggets- A Powerful New Enemy



Hi Everyone! How are you? I am fine.

We’ve been here before haven’t we? Anyone who read my blog about the Spicy Seabrook crisps a few months ago will know what spice can do to a man (https://noveltyfoodbyj.blogspot.com/2019/04/seabrook-scorchin-hot-scorpion-chili.html), so I had a sinking feeling when I saw the adverts for McDonald’s Spicy Chicken Nuggets and realized with trepidation that I was going to have to eat them.

Was I heading for the same world of pain? There’s only one way to find out!

Taste

Problem one. These are marketed as Spicy Chicken Nuggets, and that name is only two thirds correct. Nuggets? Certainly. Chicken? I’m willing to take Maccy D’s word for that. Spicy? Nope.

Considering the effort that seems to have gone to marketing these, you’d have thought the geniuses at McDonald’s would have remembered to actually put some spice in the product Wouldn’t you? Ha! Shows what you know!
Before I tried these my heart was open and I was ready to trust. Now I know that everyone and everything in the world is capable of deceit. So that's nice isn't it?


I honestly had to really concentrate on the taste to notice any spice whatsoever, it was there, but not in any real way. If I was someone that really liked spicy food, and I had gotten excited by the marketing campaign showing these nuggets being so hot that they were through their own posters and so on, I would be seriously considering whether I can ever trust anyone again. Just not spicy.

They come with a ‘Spicy Tomato Dip’ which tastes as if it should be spicy, without actually creating any heat in the mouth. At least you can see some intent though.

In the end, they are nothing more than a slightly more orange covered standard nugget, with a passing hint that someone may have thought about the possibility of wafting a small amount of spice in the general vicinity during cooking, but got half way to the spice cupboard (yes, it’s a thing, we’ve all got one) and sacked it off.

Fine, if you like McDonald’s nuggets, you’ll like these, because that’s all they are. But this isn’t a blog about standard things that are just the same as they’ve always been, this is a blog about novelty things, that are different from how they’ve always been, and these aren’t that.

JUST. NOT. SPICY.

Texture

See above. They are normal chicken nuggets, so if you like the texture of those, then fine, you’ll like these. Good for you, I hope you’re happy.

Can’t add anything to that, there’s no novelty in the texture. They’re fine.

Packaging

Problem 2, in the adverts etc. there is a special spicy nuggets box, but mine came in a standard nugget box.

Can I give them marks for at least showing me what the box might look like in the advert, even if I didn’t get to see it in real life?

No, I can’t. if anything they get minus points for teasing, and then disappointing me.

I’m not a difficult man to please. If they’d have even written ‘Spicy’ on the box in biro it would have been better. Perhaps they were worried about falling foul of the trade descriptions act (because, in case I haven’t mentioned, they’re not spicy).

Marketing

Positive points here. I’ve seen adverts on billboards (admittedly lying about how spicy they are). I’ve seen adverts on bus stops. There are TV adverts too, although I’ve only seen them on YouTube at the moment.

The best advertised product to date? Probably.

Shame they’re all lies.

Novelty Factor

If these were spicy, they’d do well here.

The more I write about these, the angrier I’m getting. They’re not spicy, don’t call them spicy, don’t trick people in to coming to your business to buy these by telling everyone that they taste like a thing they don’t taste of. Adding a spicy dip (also not spicy enough) isn’t good enough, because you promised the nuggets would be spicy, and they’re not.
'Spicy' dipping sauce. Too little, too late.


You’ve made a very powerful enemy here McDonald’s. I hope you make another novelty food, and I hope you’re desperate for a blog that reaches up to 20 people per time to review it, because when you come crawling to me, I’ll laugh in your stupid lying face.

And then obviously I’ll review it, and it’ll probably be nice.

Final Scores

Taste- 6/10

Texture- 6.5/10

Packaging- 4/10

Marketing-10/10

Novelty Factor- 3/10

Overall- 29.5/50

A decent score off the back of some good marketing, and the fact that normal chicken nuggets are fine. You can do better than that McDonald’s.

Was I heading for a world of pain? Not today buddy boy!




Comments